Transform jackfruit into crispy 'carnitas' for a delicious plant-based taco filling. This vegetarian and gluten-free recipe comes together in minutes, making it a perfect weeknight meal. Double the recipe and use leftovers for burritos, sandwiches, bowls, and salads!
4 servings | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
Crispy Jackfruit 'Carnitas'
- 20oz can jackfruit, drained
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs low-sodium tamari
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- Corn tortillas
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Radish, thinly sliced
- Black beans
- Cotija, crumbled
- ½ cup Santé Chipotle Almonds, chopped
- Squeeze excess moisture out of jackfruit and let drain in a colander. Slice each piece thinly, including the core. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. Sauté shallot and garlic until lightly browned and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add jackfruit and tamari, stirring to coat all ingredients. Lower heat and cook for 3-5 minutes, occasionally scraping the bottom of the pan.
- After most of the moisture has cooked out, add remaining oil, spices, and brown sugar. Increase heat and stir-fry the mixture until crispy and lightly charred, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas and top with Santé Chipotle Almonds for an added crunch!