Beet, Goat Cheese, and Walnut Tarts
Everyone needs a solid party snack recipe up their sleeve, and this beet, goat cheese, and walnut tart recipe delivers the goods. The trick to stress-free entertaining is using high quality shortcut ingredients like packaged puff pastry, and you can even leave candying the walnuts to the pros (that’s us!). Roasted beets, crumbled goat cheese and Santé Candied Walnuts baked on squares of prepared puff pastry into individual savory tarts make a festive, flavorful party appetizer that your guests won’t be able to resist. When you have a savory tart recipe as easy and delicious as this one, you’ll want to throw a party every night. These go perfectly with our sweet potato and brie crostini.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes (mostly inactive time)
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Servings/Yield: 16 Servings
- 2 medium beets, washed, greens removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 sheet prepared puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup Santé Candied Walnuts, roughly chopped
- Black pepper
- Honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a baking dish combine beets, oil, and salt. Add ½ cup water, cover dish with foil, and roast until beets are almost tender, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and roast until very tender, about 15 minutes more. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then rub off skins. Thinly slice beets into rounds and set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out puff pastry into a 10 x 12” rectangle. Cut into 16 2½ x 3” rectangles and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush pastry with egg and top with overlapping beet slices, goat cheese, walnuts, and pepper. Bake until golden, 15-20 minutes. If desired, drizzle with honey before serving.