A cozy and comforting muffin for cold mornings, using crisp winter apples and crunchy Santé Candied Walnuts.
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 medium apples
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup neutral-flavored oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Santé Candied Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté apples. Peel and dice apples into 1/2" cubes. Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add apples, brown sugar, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Sauté the apples in the butter and sugar mixture until fragrant and slightly cooked, 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix dry ingredients. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients. Whisk together oil, egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and mix until batter is just combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold apples and Candied Walnuts into the batter.
- Dividebatter evenly into prepared muffin tray. Optional: top each muffin with a sprinkle of sugar for a crunchier muffin top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and muffin tops are golden brown.