Brown Butter Pecan Cookies
The recipe for these brown butter pecan cookies makes a chewy, gooey version of the pecan sandies you grew up with. Browning the butter gives this pecan cookie recipe its magic, adding an extra rich nuttiness to the candied pecans. If you like having freshly baked cookies at any time, here’s a life-altering cookie hack. Freeze the portioned-out dough on a cookie sheet and then store the cookie dough in a zip-top freezer bag or storage container, then just add 2-3 minutes to the bake time when you put them in the oven. Now feel free to double this pecan cookie recipe and save the dough for when you need warm, gooey cookies at a moment’s notice.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 5 hours (mostly chilling time)
Servings/Yield: 36 cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 packed cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups Santé Candied Pecans
- In a medium skillet melt butter over medium heat. Let butter cook, without stirring, until fragrant and browned. It will make crackling sounds and foam up. Swirl the pan if needed to determine when butter is browned. As soon as it is done, pour butter into a large mixing bowl.
- With a hand mixer beat sugars and vanilla into browned butter until smooth. Beat in eggs 1 at a time until smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat flour into butter mixture on low speed until just combined.
- Reserve ¾ cup nuts and roughly chop remaining ¾ cup. Stir chopped pecans into cookie batter. Cover and chill batter at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- Portion dough using a heaping tablespoon and roll into balls. Place 2” apart on prepared baking sheets. Press remaining ¾ cup pecans into cookies but do not flatten dough balls. Bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through cooking, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheets.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.