Grilled Chicken Salad with Candied Walnuts
This protein and flavor-packed chicken salad recipe has everything you love about an old-school Waldorf salad, but we’ve cut the goopy mayonnaise with honey, mustard, apple cider vinegar and chives to make a creamy but not too heavy dressing. We also have the added sparkle of sweet and crunchy Santé Nuts Candied Walnuts. This grilled chicken salad with candied walnuts is a great recipe for when you need to pack a lunch for a spontaneous weekend picnic, and it makes a wonderful filling for a pita sandwich, for taking to work. Crisp celery and apples, juicy grapes, creamy avocado, and our Candied Walnuts breathe new life into a basic grilled chicken breast, and the creamy apple cider-chive dressing make this chicken salad recipe one you’ll want to make again and again.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings/Yield: 6-8 Servings
For the Salad:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 apple, cubed
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 package Santé Candied Walnuts
Apple Cider and Chive Dressing:
- 2 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, chives, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well. Toss chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper; grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until grill-marked and cooked through. Let rest for 10 minutes; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add chicken, spinach, celery, apple, grapes and avocado to large bowl; toss with Apple Cider and Chive Dressing. Toss with candied walnuts and serve.