Take advantage of fall produce with this Autumn Kale and Pecan Salad! This recipe features figs, squash, apples, and a homemade maple-thyme vinaigrette to tie it all together. The salad is topped with our savory Sweet & Spicy Pecans for a hint of heat and a satisfying crunch.
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch of red kale, washed
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup Santé Sweet & Spicy Pecans
- 1 cup of butternut squash, cubed
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, sliced
- 3-4 Black Mission figs, cut into quarter slices
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut the butternut squash into bite-sized cubed. Add the cubed butternut squash to a bowl and toss with olive oil, fresh thyme, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine the cubed butternut squash and the seasonings. Spread an even layer across the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions.
- Make the vinaigrette in a glass jar or liquid measuring cup. Whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup and seasonings. Pour half of the vinaigrette into the salad bowl and reserve the rest for later.
- Wash the kale and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the leaves from the stems, then roughly chop the leaves. Add the kale to the salad bowl and use the salad tongs to massage the kale. The vinaigrette will help soften the kale.
- Add the cooked quinoa and dried cranberries to the salad bowl. Toss to combine, then transfer to a large serving plate if desired.
- Top with the pecans, roasted butternut squash, sliced apples and figs.
- Garnish with crumbled goat cheese and the rest of the vinaigrette. Toss to combine.
- Drizzle extra dressing and top with additional pecans, if desired.