This winter chopped salad has hearty seasonal greens balanced with a light and bright dressing recipe. If you don’t have time to make croutons, use your favorite store-bought brand. Or, substitute with another 1/2 cup of Santé Candied Pecans.
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- pinch salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 1 cup cooked farro (1/2 cup dry farro)
- 2 small bunches lacinato kale, spines removed & chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Santé Candied Pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 cups thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp grainy or dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- To prepare the croutons, preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut 2 slices of sourdough bread into cubes, drizzle with olive oil and season with a big pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bake until golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- To prepare the farro, cook as per your package instructions, cooking it to your preferred doneness. Set aside, cool slightly.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- To prepare the kale, add a tablespoon of olive oil and massage with your hands for about a minute. (The point of massaging the kale is to break down some of the tough fibres, making for a more tender salad). Add your farro to a large serving plate or salad bowl.
- Add the chopped kale, brussels sprouts and croutons. Arrange the goat cheese, Candied Pecans and thinly sliced apples on top in a beautiful arrangement.
- Drizzle the dressing over, toss and serve with extra Candied Pecans.