Kale and Lentil Salad with Pecans and Goat Cheese
Looking for a fast, delicious, and nutritious meal to throw together on busy weeknights? We’ve got you covered. We’ve zhoozhed up the standard deli kale and lentil salad recipe by adding our delectable cinnamon pecans, sweet honeycrisp apples and creamy goat cheese. And if you need an easy make-ahead lunch for days when you want to brown-bag it, this kale and lentil salad with pecans and goat cheese recipe is your new best friend. Lentils and pecans are nutritional superheroes, beefing up the protein and fiber in this salad to keep you feeling full longer. This gorgeous kale and lentil salad recipe is also super easy to double, if you need an easy dinner party side dish. Protip: Save time by prepping the kale, radicchio, apples and chèvre while the lentils are cooking. Or if you’re in a real pinch for time, you can use prewashed, bagged kale and ready-cooked lentils, available at better-stocked grocery stores.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Servings/Yield: 4 Servings
- ½ cup French green (Le Puy) lentils
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale, ribs removed, shredded
- ½ head radicchio, shredded
- 1 large honeycrisp apple, cored and cut into ½” chunks
- ¾ cup cinnamon pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup crumbled chèvre
- In a medium saucepan combine lentils, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain off any excess water and set aside.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid combine remaining ½ teaspoon salt, oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, and pepper. Secure lid on jar and shake well to combine.
- In a large salad bowl combine lentils, kale, radicchio, and dressing and toss to coat. Add apple chunks and toss again. Top with pecans and chèvre.