Make your favorite coffeehouse treats at home! These tasty scones get their rich, nutty crunch from our Candied Pecans, balanced with a citrusy zip from a sweet lemon drizzle. Enjoy these scones for breakfast with your morning coffee or as an afternoon snack alongside a hot cup of Earl Grey tea.
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream plus 2 Tbsp for brushing
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups Santé Candied Pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sift and combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add very cold butter to the flour mixture. Combine with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbles. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to keep chilled while moving on to the next step.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk 1/2 cup heavy cream, egg, and vanilla extract together.
- Add liquids and chopped Candied Pecans to the chilled flour mixture. Combine with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are just moistened. Do not over mix.
- On a floured counter and using your hands, work the dough into a round ball. Mixture will be crumbly, but it will come together. Flatten into an 8-inch disc. Using a sharp knife, cut the disc into 8 equal pieces. Place scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate the tray for 15-30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush scones with remaining heavy cream. Generously sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until golden brown. Place baked scones on a cooling rack and make lemon drizzle.
- In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, powdered sugar, and butter. Mix until smooth.
- Once scones are cool to the touch, drizzle the lemon icing over each scone. Let icing harden at room temperature.