Beet, Goat Cheese, and Walnut Tarts
Servings: 16 |Prep Time: 30 min | Difficulty: Medium
Cooked sliced beets, crumbled goat cheese and Santé Candied Walnuts baked on squares of prepared puff pastry into individual savory tarts for a festive, flavorful New Year’s Eve party appetizer.
- 2 medium beets, washed, greens removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 sheet prepared puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup SantéⓇ Candied Walnuts, roughly chopped
- Black pepper
- Honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- In a baking dish combine beets, oil, and salt. Add ½ cup water, cover dish with foil, and roast until beets are almost tender, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and roast until very tender, about 15 minutes more. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then rub off skins. Thinly slice beets into rounds and set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out puff pastry into a 10 x 12” rectangle. Cut into 16 2½ x 3” rectangles and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush pastry with egg and top with overlapping beet slices, goat cheese, walnuts, and pepper. Bake until golden, 15-20 minutes. If desired, drizzle with honey before serving.